Work Requiring a Contractor Registration
A Contractor Registration is required to do any Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Hydronics (Wet Heat) or Sewer work that requires a permit in the City of Hamilton, and only the individual Master Registration holder or their authorized representative may apply for the permit to do that work. All individuals working on site must be registered, and the permit must be obtained before starting the work.
Owner Occupant Exemption
A Contractor Registration is not required if all of the following are true:
• The building where the work will take place is a single-family dwelling.
• The applicant is the owner of the single-family dwelling unit where the work will take place; or the applicant is an immediate family member of the owner of the single-family dwelling unit where the work will take place.
• The applicant is the occupant of the single-family dwelling unit where the work will take place.
• The applicant will be performing the work him/herself.
PLEASE NOTE: A permit is still required before starting the work, and the required inspection approvals must be obtained, even if a Contractor Registration is not required.
Types of Contractor Registrations
The types of registrations required are as follows:
• Master Registration – Authorizes work by a person, firm or corporation and/or their registered employees for Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Hydronics (Wet Heat) or Sewer work. A Master Registration is required to obtain permits for this work.
• Tradesman Registration – Authorizes work by an individual under the employment and direct or indirect supervision of a master registration holder for Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Hydronics (Wet Heat) or Sewer work.
• Sewer-Tapper Registration – Authorizes work by any person, firm or corporation or their employees, in sewer tapping and sewer building only. There need not be more than one (1) registration for each person, firm or corporation; and the individuals working under this registration need not be registered.
How to Get Registered
In order to obtain a Contractor Registration, a Contractor Registration Application must be completed and submitted to Construction Services for approval; and the required fees must be paid. Along with the application and fees, the following is required for the different registration types:
• Master Registration – The individual must provide proof of a current contractor license issued by the state of Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB) in the field of the registration for which the application is being made.
• Tradesman Registration – The individual must provide a written statement signed by the master registration holder requesting that the applicant be registered and that the applicant is an employee of the same individual, company, firm or corporation.
• Sewer-Tapper Registration – The individual shall show proof of being at least 21 years of age, be a responsible workman and shall provide documentation showing at least two (2) years of practical experience in doing sewer work. The applicant must also provide a current certificate of insurance showing that they carry a minimum of $500,000 contractor liability coverage.
The following fees are required to be paid before new or renewed Contractor Registrations can be issued:
• Master Registration New = $150 Annual Renewal = $80
• Tradesman Registration New = $50 Annual Renewal = $20
• Sewer-Tapper Registration New = $150 Annual Renewal = $80
Penalties / Deadlines
The penalty fee for doing work without a required Contractor Registration is $150 per unregistered individual. The work will be ordered to stop immediately and will not be permitted to continue until the penalty fees have been paid and the appropriate registrations have been paid for and issued. The penalty fees will be applied to either the master registration holder or the individuals obtaining the registrations.
Any registration not renewed by December 31 will expire unless a late fee of $20 is paid in addition to the renewal fee. Any registration not renewed by December 31 of the year immediately following the renewal expiration will be null and void. Reinstatement will be the same as required for getting a new registration.
Contractor Registration Application
List of Registered Contractors in the City of Hamilton
Master Confirmation for New Tradesman Registration Form
Existing Tradesman Registration Transfer Form
Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB) website
Tips for Hiring a Contractor
Better Business Bureau
Other Important Information
• Any registration renewal that is submitted to Construction Services without the completed renewal form that was mailed to the registration holder will be charged an additional $5.00 processing fee.
• Registrations can only be issued to an individual and not in the name of any company, firm or corporation.
• The master registration holder or their authorized representative may not apply for permits or registrations under the name of more than one company, firm or corporation; and they may not apply for permits or registrations for individuals who are not employed under the name of the same company, firm or corporation as the one listed on their registration.
• The registration fee shall include the first year’s registration or portion thereof expiring December 31 of the year in which the registration has been obtained.
• When a registration is obtained for the first time in November or December of a year, the fee for the following year shall be waived.
• All registrations shall expire on December 31 of the year in which they are obtained.
• Only Master Registration holders or their authorized representatives may apply for a permit for the work in which they are registered. Since a Master Registration is required to obtain a permit for any of the work listed above, all Master Registration holders must maintain a current state contractor’s license through the OCILB.
• The Tradesman Registration holder is authorized to work under the employment and direct or indirect supervision of a single Master Registration holder. The Master Registration holder is responsible for each Tradesman under him/her as well as their work.
• For Sewer-Tapper renewals and new Sewer-Tapper registration applications, the applicant must provide a current certificate of insurance showing that they carry a minimum of $500,000 contractor liability coverage. This certificate is due at the time the renewal or new application is submitted.
• When an HVAC project requires that new electric be installed, a separate electric permit must be obtained for that work by a Master Electrician Registration holder who will be responsible for completing that work and obtaining the required inspection approvals.