Operation Pumpkin is a Pumpkin and Arts Festival in downtown Hamilton on October 5, 6 and 7, 2012. The festivities will begin at 10:00 AM on Friday with artisans, food and beverage vendors on High Street. Live entertainment will start at 5 p.m. at Journal Square in the wine garden. There is also a beer garden with live entertainment on the Main Stage at the intersection of 2nd and High Street. There will also be pumpkin trebuchets, a pumpkin weigh off, amusement rides, children's activities sponsored by the YMCA, and pumpkins decorated by 4th graders, among other activities.
The fun continues on Saturday beginning at 7 a.m. with the local farmer's market, the artisans and food and beverage vendors, blacksmith and glass blowing demonstrations, pumpkin carving, more musical and dance entertainment, the beer and wine gardens, amusement rides, the children's area plus more. At 8 p.m. on the main stage, the Ohio Metropolitan Orchestra and Chorale will be performing along with soloist Eben Franckewitz from American Idol. Also included in Saturday's festivities is a 5k race at 4 pm. Proceeds from the 5k will go to the Betty Malone and Elaine McCaughey Scholarship Fund to benefit Badin High School students.
On Sunday, October 7th, the event runs from 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. with all of the artisans and food and beverage vendors, the farmer's market, the amusement rides, the children's area, the beer garden and more entertainment. At noon on Sunday, the Mini Pumpkin Dunkin Race will begin (similar to the Rubber Duck Regatta in Cincinnati). Mini pumpkins can be purchased at the Information Booth throughout the weekend. At 1 p.m. the Giant Pumpkin Regatta begins on the Great Miami River. Giant pumpkins will be hollowed and paddled down the river by regatta participants.
The entertainment for the weekend includes: The Jim Burns Band, Spirit of the Pacific Island Dancers, DJ Jeff Hoskins, Carved in Stones, Foxy Steppers, Arts in Motion Dance Academy, Forever Young Dancers, the Tom Kaper Band, One Mississippi, Ric Zinn, Tom James - Mentalist, the Miami Valley Ballet, Blue Sacrafice, Brendan Patman, Olivia Francis, Joe Ramsey, Myron Gabbard, John Kogge, Kathy Simpson, Que Lindo es Panama, and the Dave and Mike Band.
This is the first annual "Operation Pumpkin." Please join us for this exciting weekend of family fun in downtown Hamilton, Ohio.
Additional information for Operation Pumpkin may be found at www.operation-pumpkin.org.
In order to accommodate the festival and its spectators; the City of Hamilton will be closing a portion of High Street and various other streets in the surrounding area. Below is a list of road closures in downtown Hamilton during Operation Pumpkin:
• High Street from Front Street to Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard will be closed beginning at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 6 through 5:00 a.m. Monday, October 8.
• North Monument Avenue will be closed beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 4 through 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, October 9.
• Riverfront Plaza from High Street to Market Street will be closed beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 4 through 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, October 9.
• Market Street from N. Second Street to N. Monument Avenue will be closed beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 4 through 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, October 9.
• Second Street from Court Street to Market Street will be closed beginning at noon on Friday, October 5 through 5:00 a.m. on Monday, October 8.
• Third Street from Court Street to Market Street will be closed beginning at noon on Friday, October 5 through 5:00 a.m. on Monday, October 8.
Operation Pumpkin Road Closure Maps:
Thursday October 4
Friday October 5
Saturday October 6 and Sunday October 7
Monday October 8