The City has owned and operated its own water utility since 1884. The goal of the Water System, part of the Department of Underground Utilities, is to provide the competitive rates, enhanced by high quality, reliability and exceptional customer service.
In keeping with the City’s stated goal of providing “high quality” utilities, the City of Hamilton Water System received the title of “The Best Tasting Tap Water in the World” at the 2010 Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting Competition. The Water System also received the 2012 "Best of the Best" Award from the American Water Works Association - Ohio Section, for the Best Tasting Tap Water in Ohio. High quality, great tasting water, competitively priced and plentiful, and provided by a reliable, customer service-focused water system, is what our customers enjoy in Hamilton, Ohio.
The City of Hamilton owns and operates two water treatment plants. The South Water Treatment Plant, with a capacity of forty (40) million gallons per day (MGD), is the primary provider of tap water for the City. The South Plant was originally constructed in 1953, with its last major expansion being completed in the early 1990's.
The North Water Treatment Plant, with a capacity of six (6) MGD, serves as a backup and peaking plant, as well as a raw water and cooling water source for the City's North 3rd Street Electric Generating Plant. The North Plant was originally constructed as a Work Progress Administration (WPA) project, completed in 1934. The North Plant underwent a major, $1.7 million renovation. which began in April 2011 and was completed in 2012. The City received the 2012 Award of Merit, from the International Concrete Repair Institute, for this renovation project.
For more information on the City of Hamilton’s water systems, go to the following:
• Water System Overview
• Water Quality/Consumer Confidence Reports