Work Requiring a Contractor Registration
A Contractor Registration is required to do any Electric, HVAC, Plumbing, Gas, Hydronics/Wet Heat or Sewer work that requires a permit in the City of Hamilton; and only the individual Master Registration holder or their authorized representative may apply for the permit to do that work. The permit must be obtained before starting the work.
Owner Occupant Exemption
A Contractor Registration is not required if all of the following are true:
- The building where the work will take place is a single-family dwelling.
- The applicant is the owner of the single-family dwelling where the work will take place; or the applicant is an immediate family member of the owner of the single-family dwelling where the work will take place. For registration purposes, ownership does not include land contracts.
- The applicant is currently the occupant of the single-family dwelling unit where the work will take place.
- The applicant will be performing the work him/herself.
A permit is still required before starting the work, and the required inspection approvals must be obtained, even if a Contractor Registration is not required.
Types of Contractor Registrations
The types of registrations required are as follows:
- Master Registration
Authorizes work by a person, firm or corporation and/or their registered employees for Electric, HVAC, Plumbing, Gas, Hydronics/Wet Heat or Sewer work. A Master Registration is required to obtain permits for this work.
- Sewer-Tapper Registration
Authorizes work by any person, firm or corporation or their employees, in sewer tapping and sewer building only.