Letter / Notice to Repair

If you received a letter or certified notice from the City, asking you to repair your concrete, you have several options:
  1. You may fix the sidewalk, drive approach, and/or curb and gutter yourself.
  2. You may hire a private contractor, licensed by the City, to do the work for you.
  3. You may have the City do the work for you, with its contractor, and bill you later.
If you choose either 1 or 2, you or your licensed contractor must get a permit from the City's Public Works Department. A permit is always required whenever work is done in the right-of-way.

We also recommend you get quotes from several licensed contractors and check their references before hiring someone to work for you. Work done privately on streets to be resurfaced, should be completed within 15 days after the date of the Board of Revisions meeting listed in the certified notice.

Permits for Repairing Your Concrete
Permits are available at the City's Public Works Department.

There is a charge for these permits, based on how much concrete is replaced. For sidewalks and driveway approaches, the cost is $0.25 per square foot. For curb and gutter, the cost is $0.50 per linear foot. This means the cost for an average block that is 4 feet wide by 5 feet long is $5. The cost for a section of curb 10 feet long is also $5.

The permit should be taken out before any work begins. The inspector checks the forms when they are in place to make sure the forms are set correctly. The inspector is usually available between 7:30 AM and 3 p.m.. Please call the day before to schedule an inspection.

After the forms are approved, the concrete may be poured. When the work is completed, you should pay the contractor directly.

If the City Does the Work For You
After the entire project is complete, the City will calculate the invoice. The invoices are based on actual measurements of what was replaced. The City mails the invoice to the current property owner as listed on the tax rolls. When you receive your invoice, you will have at least 30 days in which to pay it.

If it is not paid in full by the due date, the City will send the invoice to Butler County. The County will add the amount of your invoice to your property taxes as a special assessment for 5 years. If you decide to pay the invoice as a special assessment over 5 years, you will also have to pay an additional interest charge. This charge is based on current market rates.